With so much talk about SEO we wanted to make that you are guaranteed the basics for your site. The following article will cover some key points and tips on how to optimize your WordPress SEO, including optimizing your written and content, images, and using plug-ins to aid in the process, with relevant links to some more extensive SEO articles. Note that this list is not exhaustive, there are huge amounts of resources online and this is only a basic get started guide.
1. SEO FRIENDLY URLS
Having SEO friendly URL’s is important, it allows you to have descriptive URL structures that are human and easily understandable. Thankfully WordPress makes this job easy, to set your URL’s up correctly, go to Settings > Permalinks, and then choose “Post Name”:
This will change your pages and posts from simple ID’s to readable URL’s.
2. IMAGE OPTIMIZATION
Image optimization is very important for the web, you should consider the following items when optimizing images for web:
– Choosing the right file name – make it descriptive or relevant for its use
– Image View Size – make sure to size the image according to its use, don’t use 2000px wide images for featured images that will be displayed at 300px wide.
– Image File Size in KB – image size in terms of memory is very important, make sure that your images are optimized and saved for web. You can read more on how to optimize your images for web here.
– Alt and Title Text – Make sure the alt text includes your SEO keyword and relates to / describes the images. This can be done after image upload to the media library. Whilst it takes some time it is important and can really make your SEO stronger.
3. CONTENT OPTIMIZATION
There are few points you should keep in mind while writing the content as that are important to optimize the content.
– Descriptive post and page titles.
– Use target keywords in the first and last paragraph of a blog post.
– Using semantic tags – use the keyword H2 at least once and H3 once in tags within the post (if relevant), these are known as semantic tags, which makes its easier for Google to understand page and post structure.
– Don’t over use the target keyword. Keyword density should be between 2-3% within the post and don’t stuff keywords (i.e. adding too many keywords without thought).
– Interlink the content. The great example of Interlinking is Wikipedia. We have done this for you with our related posts features.
4. IMPROVING PAGE SPEED AND LOADING TIMES
Page speed is one of the factors takes into consideration when ranking a site, a faster loading site leads to a better experience and therefore it increases your rank. Whilst that is a focus on SEO, loading times also effect user engagement and accessibility, so making sure that you have the best hosting provider to load your site is vital, especially if you have a large mobile audience.
You can view our article on page speed optimization here. If you need more help with optimizing your site speed, and would rather have a professional team do it for you, check out Site Speed Optimization services here.
5. USER OPTIMIZATION AND BACKLINKS
Making it easy for your users to share your posts, and follow your articles can be an important way of getting user interaction and there is a greater possibility of users sharing your articles. When they share your articles they are effectively creating backlinks, i.e. external links back into your site, increasing site hits and popularity.
You can read more on user optimization and creating back links here.
With WordPress SEO optimization can be made very easy using plug-ins. We recommend using Yoast SEO or All in one SEO as they provide a simple user interface as well as extensive documentation available online on how to use their plug-ins to create great SEO. Take a look at the following plug-ins below:
I would highly recommend using the above plug-ins to enhance your sites SEO.
Our article covers a quick overview of SEO optimization, however as previously mentioned the above list is not exhaustible and you as a user should take some time to consider the best methods of SEO optimization for your site. Below you will see a list of resources that we recommend, some of the guides are very extensive and will give you a greater understanding of how to maximize your SEO potential.
Resources for SEO
Complete Guides and sites