Welcome to the 28th episode of FloInsider – a podcast for photographers and creative business owners who seek inspiration and a fresh perspective on how to run their business, navigate this weird time that we all live in, and find meaning and happiness in their daily routines.
Today we chat with Mykel Dixon, an award-winning speaker, leadership advisor, learning designer, event curator, TV host, and author of ‘Everyday Creative’. Mykel is a fierce non-conformist and prolific anti-perfectionist, who works with senior leaders and teams of Fortune 500 and ASX 200 companies to unlock their creativity. Together with Oli Sansom, they untangle the topic of fear and risk taking, earning trust and influence within a community, and so much more!
Prepare to be inspired, motivated and hear the brutal truth about what stops you from reaching your true potential, in business and in life!
A few cliff notes from our chat with Mykel:
- Taking risks is everything – the more you risk, the bigger you fail, the more you learn from it.
- Most of the time it is the psychological risk that we have to confront: what will they say about me? How will they judge me? Will I get another client if I try this?
- Risk triggers our biological fear of being kicked out of the tribe and ultimately being unloveable. We can confront that gently, and build up resilience in knowing we are valuable and what we have to offer is valuable.
- How do you find your community? YOU have to be that person first. Then look around you to find people who are also not afraid to take risks. Their risk doesn’t have to be the same as yours. The mindset is the thing that matters.
- With great responsibility comes great power (yes you read that right). If you take responsibility for your community and create a safe space for people to take risks, you have a lot of power. Power to shift things, power to create moments and momentum! You become more powerful because people feel safe with and around you.
- What happens quite often in the wedding photography industry – when you want to stand out, you always try to keep up with someone else. Yet, originality comes from your curiosity, from trusting your own voice and intuition. Instead of looking at everyone else, remember what lights the fire in you. Take the risk to follow that and let it bleed into your work.
- We haven’t lived in this specific time before. There is no right path. No-one can tell you the right way to do things and run your business. The risk is not that you will mess it up: the risk is that you will miss the opportunity “right now” to create your life in a way that inspires you and makes a difference.
Follow Mykel on Instagram instagram.com/mykeldixon/
and check out his website: mykeldixon.com and ‘Everyday Creative’ book – everydaycreatives.com/
Connect with our host, Oli Sansom via one of his websites:
or via Instagram: instagram.com/olisansom
Don’t forget to subscribe to FloInsider via your favorite platform for more awesome interviews and deep conversations with fascinating creatives.