Saori & DeVante aka Spirit of Revelry – Getting into Business with Your Partner. The Unspoken Rules | FloInsider Ep #5
We’re back with the fifth episode of FloInsider! Have you missed it? We know we did! FloInsider is a podcast for creative entrepreneurs who want a fresh perspective on business, communication, art, design, branding, and life as we know it.
We’re happy to welcome our new awesome hosts, Saori & DeVante – a husband and wife photography duo behind Spirit of Revelry. For the following 5 episodes, Saori & DeVante will be holding conversations with very different, and incredibly interesting personalities from the photography industry. Stay tuned for some thought-provoking interviews!
In today’s episode, Saori & DeVante talk about their experience of being spouses and running a business together. They offer practical tips for those who plan to open a business with their loved ones. They also touch upon topics such as the importance of being kind to your clients and peers, and how to take care of your mental health in a world obsessed with productivity and overachievement.
Besides the fact that this episode turned out very insightful, it is also motivational and comforting. Not to mention that Saori & DeVante’s rad personalities make you feel like you’re having a beer with old friends, rather than listening to a podcast.
Here are a few Cliff Notes from Saori & DeVante’s talk:
- While planning to get into business with your partner, try to identify each other’s strengths, and distribute responsibilities based on that. If one of you is more artistic and creative, while the other one is good with numbers and with technology, one should be the Art Director, while the other should focus on the business side and workflow optimization.
- When you and your partner do business together, it’s only fair to give each other a little bit of space outside work. The easiest way to achieve this is to have separate hobbies, not related to your business.
- Set boundaries and respect each other. This is vital for your marriage, as well as your relationship as business partners.
- Prioritize spending intentional quality time together, outside of work. A healthy work-life balance is a must.
- Opening a business with your partner is a huge commitment. Make sure that you are jumping into it with the right person.
- Always, but especially during difficult times like now, be kind and patient. Your potential clients are going to look up to you for guidance and ask you questions, because you are the professional. Try not to get frustrated with them when you get asked the same question about Covid-related laws and regulations for the 100th time. Your leads trust you and your kindness can go a longer way than you can imagine.
- When you are in the unique position of doing what you love for a living, it’s very easy to get the line between work and life blurred. It’s important to stick to specific practices that will keep you from overworking.
If you want to check out Saori & DeVante’s amazing work, as well as connect with them, you can do it over at their website and Instagram.
Subscribed for FloInsider via your favorite platform to listen to more interviews like this one!