Chanel French | The Art of Self Portraits + You Are More Than Just a Photographer | FloInsider Ep #11
Welcome to the 11th episode of FloInsider – a podcast for photographers and creative business owners who seek inspiration and a fresh perspective on how to run their business, navigate this weird time that we all live in, and find meaning and happiness in their daily routines.
In today’s episode we chat with Chanel French, an award-winning, published Portrait Photographer and UX Designer, living and creating in Atlanta, Georgia. If you’ve ever tried to do a self-portrait shoot, to explore the depths of your own personality, to document a moment/state in your life, or simply explore a visual concept – then you know that it often comes with a certain amount of doubt, awkwardness, self-consciousness, and self-judgement. And though we hear people advocating for self-portraits, their healing and empowering effect, many of us are still hoping to witness that magical force that suddenly makes us accept and fall in love with the way we look.
As Chanel specializes in self-portraits and teaches others how to embrace and master this whole process (via The Art Of You course) we dove deeper with her into the intentionality, logistics, and the mindset one should have when planning a self-portrait shoot. Because while the outcome may result in more self-love, self-acceptance, and self-reflections – it’s not always an easy and sweet journey.
Apart from that, we break down the idea of trapping yourself into one Title and the unnecessary pressure you put on yourself, for not having everything figured out in life.
You can also find and listen to FloInsider on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, etc.
A few cliff notes from our chat with Chanel French:
- I am not just “Chanel ‘the photographer’. There is no shame in doing more than one thing – don’t hang yourself up on a title. As a creative, you are very likely to love a multitude of creative expressions and that is ok!
- We all have transition times in life where we’re not exactly where we want to be, but also not where we used to be anymore. It’s important to be honest with ourselves in those times and not put too much pressure to create. If you want to take a step back and recharge – that’s okay. If you want to push through this block – that’s okay too. We don’t need all the answers right away, give yourself grace to be a little lost, try things, and figure out what photography means to you. Maybe it’s a business, maybe it’s not. The ultimate goal is to enjoy what you do.
- Self-portraits are not this magical tool that will do wonders and heal your soul – but they can help with the way you see and accept yourself entirely.
- The difference between selfies and self portraits is the intention behind them.
- When creating self-portraits, it’s important to have a similar mindset to the one you have with clients. If you’re photographing someone – you’ll show them and highlight the shots that are most beautiful and flattering. You won’t focus on the ones that caught a bad angle or weird moment. Follow the same principle with your self-portrait. Be kind to yourself.
Listen to the full episode as it’s full of wonderful ideas and recommendations on how to be kinder and more understanding with yourself. If you want to connect with Chanel French, follow her on Instagram: www.instagram.com/chanelgphoto or check out her website: www.chanelgphotography.com
Here you can find out more and purchase her course on Self Portraits, where she breaks down the details, concepts, setting, etc: www.clickphotoschool.com/the-art-of-you-self-portrait-photography
A big thank you to our lovely host – Nadia Meli. Connect with her via her website: nadiameli.com or follow her on Instagram: www.instagram.com/nadiameli
And don’t forget to subscribe to FloInsider via your favorite platform and never miss an interview worth listening to!