Welcome to the 19th episode of FloInsider – a podcast for photographers and creative business owners who seek inspiration and a fresh perspective on how to run their business, navigate this weird time that we all live in, and find meaning and happiness in their daily routines.
In today’s episode, we speak to Racquel John – a writer, actress, painter, and all-around amazing human being, who navigates the concept many of us spend a lifetime exploring – Purpose.
Racquel takes us on a journey of self-discovery and self-acceptance. She helps us answer the biggest life questions most of us have – what is Purpose? How to find it? And why most of us look for it in the wrong places! Spoiler alert – you can have more than one purpose in life.
Tune in, give it a listen, and let us know what you think!
A few cliff notes from our chat with Racquel:
- What does it take to become Purposefully You? It’s a lot of work. It means unpacking your past, your childhood, and understanding how society shaped you along the way. This can be a painful process. The thing is – there are so many trends and standards that society impels upon us. They often dictate the way we see ourselves. Oftentimes we force ourselves into trends that don’t serve us, spiritually or physically, just to fit that image society claims as perfection. As soon as you try to model yourself to fit a certain profile, you give up on the journey of exploring your true self. And that throws you off your alignment. Once you give up on that thought, you place all the approval and acceptance you need within yourself. You free yourself from society and you no longer need anyone to validate your worth.
- You never get to an endpoint of knowing yourself. There are only beginnings. In the process of self-discovery, there is always a new thing you learn about yourself, there is always something new to unpack. Sometimes you think you have dealt with an issue, and then it comes back to you again, in a different form. You have to deconstruct it and let it teach you a new perspective of the story.
- You have multiple purposes in life. The main human purpose is to live and experience life. But there are other purposes you discover along the way. Think of them as callings, or assignments. Because you might be in the right place at the right time, to talk to a person, to help them, to transform them, to save their life.
- Purpose is not a lost key that you have to find. It reveals itself while you’re out and about, doing things, and living your life. Your purpose is not a constant either, it changes and evolves throughout your journey.
- You are the foundation of a purpose. You are the foundation of your direction in life. Many of us do too much seeking outside of ourselves, and not looking inwards – that’s where all the answers are.
- You have to find the good in everything. Even if it’s a difficult situation, even if it makes you say “this sucks!”, try to learn from it. Life is all about the perspectives you focus on. You can look at a rosebush and say “what a shame that this rose bush has thorns” or, you can say “how amazing that this thorn bush has roses.”
And don’t forget to subscribe to FloInsider via your favorite platform so you never miss an interview worth listening to!